Jan 30, 2012

Reason 7: To See The Signs

Yes, the average Peace Corps volunteer may delight in seeing the sights--but, as a hopelessly compulsive reader, I delight in far more tedious pursuits. Namely sign-watching.
 
Over the last few months, I've been taking snapshots of the many billboards and advertisements that blanket the streets of Luzon. Ironically, because English is associated with education here, most signs are written in English to add credibility. The results, from the perspective of a foreigner, are often hilarious:

Presumably this store is geared toward men, and while I don't support the rampant cockfighting in the Philippines, it's tough to avoid stopping by to gawk at the "Cockhouse".



"Baboy" is the Tagalog word for pig, so I can assure you that this sign is completely culturally appropriate. 
It does, however, seem to hint at a very specific clientele...



An ultrasound store? Let's hope.




I'm not sure what a "Tweener" is, but I certainly wouldn't let my (as of yet non-existent) children anywhere near one.




Worst. nickname. ever. Almost too easy to make fun of 
(though it hasn't stopped me from trying).


 
Given the bluntness of employee qualifications here, I wouldn't be surprised to see a "no fatties" sign somewhere around back too.



And to think I've been paying all these years...




The first seeds of feminism have been sewn. Equal opportunity urinals with complimentary security guards conveniently available next to the busiest highway in the Philippines. Neat.




I'm sure this makes sense to locals. 
But, I still can't bring myself to eat here.



...where knowledge is contagious!




I'm not sure what's going on here, 
but I gather it's easy to get in.


I know that Angry Birds are majorly in vogue here in the Philippines, but using them to advertise a strip-club 
is just plain ridiculous.


2 comments:

  1. Oh the signs I've seen here... Leno would have a field day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Those are awesome! Thanks for sharing all of those :D

    ReplyDelete